What is a Book of the Dead?

John Taylor, British Museum

I’m the curator of the exhibition Journey through the afterlife: ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead, which opens at the British Museum on 4 November 2010. The exhibition is the result of years of work behind the scenes in planning, preparation and research. It’s exciting to be able to focus on these special documents and to have the rare opportunity to display such a variety of them.

‘Book of the Dead’ is a modern term for a collection of magical spells that the Egyptians used to help them get into the afterlife. They imagined the afterlife as a kind of journey you had to make to get to paradise – but it was quite a hazardous journey so you’d need magical help along the way.

The Book of the Dead isn’t a finite text – it’s not like the Bible, it’s not a collection of doctrine or a statement of faith or anything like that – it’s a practical guide to the next world, with spells that would help you on your journey.

The ‘book’ is usually a roll of papyrus with lots and lots of spells written on it in hieroglyphic script. They usually have beautiful coloured illustrations as well. They would have been quite expensive so only wealthy, high-status people would have had them. Depending on how rich you were, you could either go along and buy a ready-made papyrus which would have blank spaces for your name to be written in, or you could spend a bit more and probably choose which spells you wanted.

Some of the spells are to make sure you can control your own body after death. The ancient Egyptians believed that a person was made up of different elements: body, spirit, name, heart, they’re all embodiments of a person, and they were afraid that these elements would disperse when you died. So there are a lot of spells to make sure you don’t lose your head or your heart, that your body doesn’t decay, as well as other spells about keeping alive by breathing air, having water to drink, having food to eat.

There are also spells about protecting yourself because the ancient Egyptians expected to be attacked on the journey to the afterlife by snakes, crocodiles, insects – an idea very much based on the threats they knew in real life only much more frightening and much more dangerous.

As well as the animals, you could be attacked by gods or demons who served the gods. In the next world there are a lot of gods who are guarding gateways that you have to get through, and if you don’t give the right answers to their questions at the gates, they can attack you because they have knives and snakes in their hands.

Without the correct spells to protect you, you could be punished in a variety of ways: you could be put on to the slaughter block, you could be decapitated, or you could be turned upside down (which meant your digestive process worked in reverse so you had to eat faeces and drink urine forever!).

The worst thing that can happen is what is called the second death. This meant you were killed and your spirit couldn’t come back and so you would have no afterlife at all.

It was a world of great fear that they believed they were going into, and the Book of the Dead provided guidance and protection on this journey.

Over the next few weeks, I’ll be writing regularly about the aspects of the exhibition that I’m most excited about – and there’ll also be updates from some of the many people working on the exhibition behind the scenes here at the British Museum.

If you would like to leave a comment click on the title

Filed under: Exhibitions, Journey through the afterlife: ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead, , , ,

1. This sounds like a fantastic exhibtion I cant wait to come and see it and bring my children along. the Book of the Dead fascinated me when I was a small child and I can honestly say that reading the meanings behind it put me on the road to becoming a museum curator which is my other job when I am not entertaining two children!

2. Jennifer says:

So excited for more updates on the progress of this exhibit as it is on display! Also, I think the idea of a curator’s blog is wonderful. I myself am a student at university with hopes of becoming a curator someday, and it is always a treat to read about the work of current professionals.

3. dianabuja says:

How were the poor able to transet into the afterlife?

Dianabuja

4. Dianabuja,

The burials of poor people were usually similar to those of the rich in their main features, but with less expense – the body would be preserved in a crude manner and wrapped in cloth, and a few gifts would be put into the grave (food, drink, a few simple trinkets). So, as far as we can tell, they expected to go to the same kind of afterlife as the wealthy, but they would have to manage without the help of the Book of the Dead and all the rich trappings of a high-status burial. How you behaved during your life was important. In an ancient Egyptian story someone watches the funerals of a rich man and a poor man, and then makes a journey to the realm of the dead, where he sees how the gods treated them. The poor man is enjoying a luxurious life, while the rich man is being tortured – the gods had judged them on their past record in life, irrespective of their wealth. Although this story comes from very late in Egyptian history it does seem to show a belief that everyone had an equal chance of reaching the afterlife.

John Taylor, Exhibition Curator

5. noelle says:

I wouldn’t waste my time!
    John Taylor the Exhibition Curator put together a very boring show and an uninspiring audio tour guide. The tour could of easy moved the crowds of people through the exhibition, giving content on each artifact but instead Mr. Taylor left you walking in circles in the extremely low lighting that left you unable to see where the audio related items where.

Last year I was in San Francisco for TUTANKHAMUN and The Golden Age of the Pharaohs and it blew this out of the water! Mr. Taylor should look towards the de Young Museum for creative inspiration and knowledge on how put together a first class show.

6. John says:

I havent seen the exhibition yet,the anticipation of walking in circles viewing the beauty of Egyptian art and thought,hopefully making my own time to move through the exhibition is what I would appreciate.
    Extremely low lighting,to view artefacts 35 centuries old,must be the only practical way that they can now see the light of day.
    Looking forward to my visit!

7. Simon says:

I thought the exhibition was excellent!

There were some points that could have been better and these revolve around the use of physical space. Often there were bottlenecks of visitors surrounding the objects listed on the audio guides. This could be frustrating and the objects could have been better placed with traffic flow, as it were, in mind,

This is a minor gripe. The objects and the panels from the book of the dead were, excuse the pun, spell binding. On several occasions had to stop and remind myself I was looking at texts thousands of years old and a window into the world of the ancients.

As to the lighting, these are objects that need care and protection: yes it’s a little dim but I found it made no overall difference. Besides if it means I have to look a little longer, who cares? I’d much rather have these objects available for future generations to enjoy than be damaged by artificial light.

Finally there was one really interesting figure that I saw several times. It was shaped like salt shaker with two legs and two eyes. It was so odd looking. What an earth is it? And what does it mean?

8. LUARA says:

I THINCK ITS GREAT THAT KIDS LEARN OF OF YOU SO MUCH ABOUT ANCIENT EGYPT MY KID IS COMING TO YOU FROM GADE VALLEY ON WEDNESDAY SO I THINCK SHE WILL LEARN LOTS FROM YOU THANCK BRITISH MUSEUM SO I HOPE YOU CAN FIND HER

9. Simon

This strange-looking figure appears in the illustration to Book of the Dead spell 17. It is a long and complex spell, mentioning many gods, some of them very obscure. The currently-accepted view among Egyptologists is that the figure represents Medjed (whose name means ‘The Smiter’). In the text of the spell we read:
    ‘I know the name of that Smiter among them, who belongs to the House of Osiris, who shoots with his eye, yet is unseen.’
    The fact that only his eyes are shown, while the rest of him (except his feet) is covered seems to fit this description. Unfortunately, nothing else is known about this god.

John Taylor, Exhibition Curator

10. Maya says:

I am an Open University student studying towards BA with History Art. In our modules we have only studied the Western art. I don’t know why that is as there is so much more to know outside its ‘comfort zone’. I am someone who would love to work within the art world and to become a curator one day. (I am willing to start from anywhere). Always ‘hungry’ for more knowledge, I am looking forward to this exhibition that I booked for 28 November.
    My deepest regards to the curator!
    Maya

11. Megan says:

Sounds like a fantastic exhibition. Creating a blog on what the exhibition entails is a innovative way to communicate with members of the public who may be coming to view and have already had the opportunity to view the exhibition. Just wondered when your next update will be? I am particularly intrigued as I am a student at UCL and I am currently writing a blog for my university project on two objects from within UCL’s archives. UCL houses the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology which contains objects and texts also from the Egyptian era. I know a lot of my friends are considering doing two objects from the Petrie Museum – I will be sure to recommend your exhbition and your blog to them.

12. Shirley says:

I am interested in the burial of the poor Egyptians.
    Were they kept for the 70 days before burial? Where were they buried? I assume some could be buried on the East bank too? Have there ever been any cemeteries found of poor people?
    And if a family had a baby that died after birth where and how were they buried?

13. STJAustin says:

Would love to visit this exhibition …. unfortunately i’m in Austin Texas and not able to zip over.

Cheers.

14. This exhibition exceeded my expectations and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were more artefacts and the papyrus fragments were more varied in age and style than I had expected. I visited late morning and though it was a little crowded, especially around the audio exhibits, visitors only had to be patient for a short time in order to see everything. I definitely recommend the exhibition, but make sure you leave enough time – there’s a lot to see.

15. madagoo says:

Truly a fantastic exhibition. i thoroughly enjoyed the multimedia technology too. please, are you releasing this on DVD after the exhibition? It would be good if the thanatology of mesopotamia could be inlcuded and how they influenced the abrahamic religions collectively.

16. […] Egypt has come to London again, with a spectacular exhibition at the British Museum entitled: Journey through the afterlife: ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead. John Taylor, curator of the […]

17. grace alves says:

I’ve just been invited by friends to go to the exhibition on Mon 21st Feb! I’m so excited! I can’t wait to see the wording of the spells. How faithful to the original ‘texts’ can I expect them to be? Did the ‘sending off’ of the Egyptians -both the poor and wealthy- involve any chanting of sorts? Also, as a Portuguese person who’s lived in London for the past 20 years, I have observed that the ‘sending off’ of people here is oftentimes without much decorum and notably without concern for the ‘welfare’ of the dead once they’ve ‘gone’. I wonder if this exhibition will have an impact in the psyche of the increasingly secular British society.

18. Marguerite Higham says:

I am planning to visit on Mon 21st what time would you recommend?

19. Marguerite

Great to hear you’re planning to come. It’s a big exhibition with lots to see, so leave yourself plenty of time. Booking in advance is recommended and you can do it here:

Otherwise tickets are available in the Great Court on the day – but best to get here early.

David Prudames, Web team

20. Gordon says:

You write that it is not a Bible but I read somewhere that it contains rules that are very similar to those in The Ten Commandments.
    The Jewish religion must have come from somewhere and does not ancient Egypt makes sense?
    I wanted to get to the exhibition but it’s a long way from Banffshire to London.
    Any chance of it touring?

• Madagoo says:

hi gordon,

part of the various BOD spells inlcude the 42 Negative Sayings/Confessions which often have similar things that could be precursors to the Ten Comandments. The other interesting thing to compare with the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity & Islam) are the other influences for exile seen in Babylonian thanatology which was heavily influenced from Zoroastrianism.

bw Mal

21. marion says:

I haven’t made it to the Exhibition for family reasons and I am so disappointed. Will any of the ‘spells’ from the BM’s collection be on view in the Egyptian Galeries after March 6th, so that I can come and get an idea of one or two in reality?

22. Jean Phillips says:

I visited this exhibition on 3rd March and then the Treasures of Afghanistan on 4th March, together with my 94 year old mother. We enjoyed the exhibitions but did find it too crowded and therefore not able to see many of the displays. Perhaps a little more of a gap between groups, 10 minute slots are obviously not long enough to get people through these very interesting events. More seats for the elderly would be welcome also. Otherwise two very enjoyable days!

23. Helen MacInnes says:

My sister found ‘The Book of the Dead’1899 in the house she bought.It is in good condition inside with some amazing plates.She is not sure what to do with it!

24. teeehee says:

too hard to understand

25. Michelle Straebler says:

This must have been a great exhibition. I got the app from iTunes and it’s wonderful – thank you!

26. Antony taker says:

The book of the dead it as Allways had a strange fascination for me to see what there way of thinking was 3500 years ago

• It also provides some interesting insights into the development of religious though not just in Egypt, but also through Israel’s first exile in Egypt. E.g the gates and negatives saying of one’s passage thought to the afterlife are where we find the precursors of the Ten Commandments . Similarly, the second exile in babylons gives insight into the importation of monotheism into Judaism to replace early henotheism. Later, not so much an exile as an occupation , the roman period was where Christianity grew out of strictly monotheistic Judaism dealing with much speculation about metatron, memra, and theophany. But most of all, I think all of this gives us much richness in discovering our connectivity is seeking the other and speaking of the numenal.

Categories

British Museum on Instagram

Spring cleaning with Dürer: read a new blog post about conserving the magnificent Triumphal Arch at blog.britishmuseum.org
Celebrated German artist Dürer and his team designed this dense and spectacular image on 195 woodblocks which took three years to cut and print, between 1515 and 1518. It was commissioned by the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I (r. 1486–1519) who took a personally close interest in its production. At over 3.5 metres tall, the incredibly detailed arch is both elaborate and immense. Maximilian harnessed the superlative skills of German woodcut designers and printers to advertise his achievements and dynastic ambition for the Austrian Habsburg family to which he belonged.
#conservation #print #Dürer Discover some of the amazing wearable treasures in our new #Waddesdon gallery on @Pinterest at pinterest.com/britishmuseum
The Grenville Jewel. Dating from about 1635–1640, this superb locket contains a portrait by David Des Granges of Sir Bevil Grenville, a Cornish Royalist General who died during the English Civil War in 1643. The case is a bravura demonstration of enamelling on gold. Minute pansies, marguerites and green leaves stand out against a black background. A large square sapphire adorns the centre, surrounded by rubies, opals and diamonds. A pendant pearl in an enamelled setting completes the piece.
Gold enamelled pendant jewel with a ruby-studded parrot. The top of the base is enamelled with shields and flowers. Two pendant pearls complete the jewel. The parrot itself may have 16th-century Spanish origins, but the rest of the jewel is largely a 19th-century construction by the French jeweller Alfred André (1839–1919). A similar parrot pendant is in the Museo Arqueológico Nacional, Madrid, where the bird is also modelled in the round and white enamel used to highlight the eyes. Here's another great photo from our instagramer event, a #tired_portrait in the Great Court by @zoecaldwell.
Check out #emptyBM to see all their amazing photos! US artist John Sloan was born #onthisday in 1871.
John Sloan, painter, printmaker and teacher, first took up etching as a self-taught adolescent.  Moving to New York in 1904, he became part of a group of eight artists, better known as “The Ashcan School”, who focused on creating images of urban realism. Between 1891 and 1940 Sloan produced some 300 etchings. He was also one of the first chroniclers of the American scene and wrote about printmaking and the etching technique.
This etching comes from the series of 10 prints entitled 'New York City Life', recording the lives of the ordinary inhabitants in less affluent areas of Manhattan. The prints had a mixed reception at the time and a number were rejected from an exhibition of the American Watercolor Society as ‘vulgar’ and ‘indecent’. #August is named after the Roman emperor Augustus. Before 8 BC the Romans called it Sextilis!
This head once formed part of a statue of the emperor Augustus (ruled 27 BC – AD 14). In 31 BC he defeated Mark Antony and Cleopatra at the battle of Actium and took possession of Egypt, which became a Roman province. The writer Strabo tells us that statues of Augustus were erected in Egyptian towns near the first cataract of the Nile at Aswan and that an invading Kushite army looted many of them in 25 BC.
Although Roman counter-attackers reclaimed many of the statues, they did not reach Meroë, where this head was buried beneath the steps of a native temple dedicated to Victory. It seems likely that the head, having been cut from its statue, was placed there deliberately so as to be permanently below the feet of its Meroitic captors.
The head of Augustus appears larger than life, with perfect proportions based upon Classical Greek notions of ideal human form. His calm distant gaze, emphasised with inset eyes of glass and stone, give him an air of quiet, assured strength. Coins and statues were the main media for propagating the image of the Roman emperor. This statue, like many others throughout the Empire, was made as a continuous reminder of the all-embracing power of Rome and its emperor. English sculptor Henry Moore was born #onthisday in 1898.
Drawing played a major role in Henry Moore's work throughout his career. He used it to generate and develop ideas for sculpture, and to create independent works in their own right.
During the 1930s the range and variety of his drawing expanded considerably, starting with the 'Transformation Drawings' in which he explored the metamorphosis of natural, organic shapes into human forms. At the end of the decade he began to focus on the relationship between internal and external forms, his first sculpture of this nature being 'Helmet' (Tate Collections) of 1939.
This drawing titled ‘Two Women: Drawing for sculpture combining wood and metal’ was based on a pencil study entitled ‘Ideas for Lead Sculpture’. It reflects his awareness of surrealism and psychoanalytical theory as well his abiding interest in ethnographic material and non-European sculpture; the particular reference in this context is to a malangan figure (malangan is a funeral ritual cycle) from New Ireland province in Papua New Guinea, which had attracted his interest in the British Museum.
Henry Moore, Two Women: Drawing for sculpture combining wood and metal. England, 1939.